Tuesday, September 20, 2011

PUPPY UP!! A Cancer Walk for dogs


Just like people, dogs can get cancer also. Unfortunately dogs cannot perform exams, and have a hard time letting us know in a definite way if they don't feel well. 


Did you know that dogs can get many of the same forms of cancer that humans can, the curse of being man's best friend, I guess. My dog has had several different tumors removed, evidenced by the texture of his ears, and the huge scar on his rear leg. 
We had a white Boxer a few years ago who had a brain tumor, sadly, she is no longer with us. My dad's female Boxer just had a tumor removed from one of her breasts. 

20 million dogs that will die of Cancer in the United States, only 1 million will actually be diagnosed with this scary disease? 

That is an astonishing statistic. 

I am participating in a walk to help fund research; the story of 2 Million Dogs began with a man and his two dogs who embarked on a walk from Austin, TX to Boston, MA inspired by the loss of his Great Pyrenees to cancer. Some of you have heard the story of Hudson, Murphy, and Luke Robinson.


The walked from town to town sharing Malcolm's story and educating people about cancer in dogs and as they built a nationwide grassroots movement. Mr. Robinson had a vision: 2,000,000 dogs walking simultaneously all across the United States for cancer. If 2 dogs could walk over 2,000 miles, surely it was possible!!


And that's how the 2 Million Dogs Foundation was born and the legacy that started out with just a man who lost his beloved dog continues...


Novemeber 6th, 2011 the 2 Million Dog march continues!! This year there will be 30 PUPPY UP events!


I am participating in Puppy up Texoma!! I am asking for sponsors to help me reach my fundraising goal! You can visit my fundraising page, to read my story and visit the donate link located near the top of the page, if you would like to help me and other animal lovers raise awareness and help 2 Million Dogs with their cause!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment