Thursday, December 23, 2010

My Lonely Christmas Tree

I have said that my poor little Christmas tree seems lonely. It sits in front of my patio door, with its decorations and is quite pretty. I am happy with it anyway. I haven’t really bought any gifts, I bought gift cards for most everyone I had on my list if for no other reason than it’s easier to do things that way. It is for that reason my tree seems lonely; aren’t there supposed to be gifts under the tree?
Yes, I believe that is the tradition anyway. It seems that the Christmas tree has had many other jobs before that. Did you know that in Great Britain, back hundreds of years ago, Druid priests used the branches of evergreens to ward off evil spirits during winter solstice rituals?
When did we start decorating Christmas trees, in the more modern sense? There is a legend that states in 1500, Martin Luther was inspired to decorate evergreens, by a small group of trees huddled together in the woods, snow covered, glistening in the moon light. It was this sight that inspired Martin Luther to decorate a small Fir to imitate the beauty he had seen in nature.
Looking at my tree, it may hold the appearance of being lonely, but I truly enjoy my little tree. It made me happy to decorate it, and it brightens my living room. There is lot of love on that tree, love for my friends and their new growing families, my family near, and my family far off. I thought of all of you while decorating my tree. Every now and then, however; there is something under my tree, something that doesn’t quite fit. It’s big, brown, and gives the sloppiest kisses ever! My dog!! Now that’s the best!
I am looking forward to celebrating Christmas with my family. My mom, dad, and brother. We have our own little traditions, that hold true for us; I am looking forward to our “Chambers’ family breakfast!” There are some things that you just can’t live without. For me, it’s the breakfast casserole! YUM! I’m hungry just thinking about it!!
Merry Christmas everyone! Happy Holidays!
Laura Lee and Chico

No comments:

Post a Comment